Fire Safety Resources
The following information is from our June 23, 2021 Community Info Session:
"Staying Safe During Wildfire Season"
Info on becoming a FireWise USA community
Create an account and start your application to become a FireWise USA Community
Ensure that your family is prepared for a wildfire by completing the Ready, Set, Go! incident action plan
Contact your local fire department for free-of-charge fire mitigation advising on how you can make your home or business more resilient in the event of a wildfire
Examples of proactive measures to promote fire safety that other counties have enacted:
- County-wide Wildfire Councils (e.g., Summit County Wildfire Council)
- Neighborhood Chipping Program (e.g., Teller County Chipping Program)
- County Commissioners hold regular Wildfire Town Halls on FB Live (e.g., see Summit County Government FB page)
Two important federal bills that would promote wildfire safety:
- Shelter Act - A bipartisan bill sponsored by Senator Bennet (D) and Senator Cassidy (R) to provide tax credits for families and businesses who complete fire mitigation measures on their property
- Civilian Climate Corps - This bill would put hundreds of thousands of Americans back to work by training and hiring a new generation of conservation and wildfire resiliency workers who would undertake projects to improve forest health and reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires.